15 Aralık 2013 Pazar

Egyptian (Spice) Bazaar

Built in 1664 as a part of the Yeni Cami complex which is located next to it. It is called the Egyptian Bazaar because the shopkeepers used to sell spices and herbs which were brought from or through Egypt. During the Ottoman period it was known as a place where shops sold only spices. Today there are only a few spice and herb specialists. The bazaar has an "L" shape with six gates. Similar to the Grand Bazaar, it is open on weekdays and only half a day on Saturdays.

This Bazaar, famous for its all sorts of medicines, was reconstructed by Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality between the years 1940 and 1943 and took its present shape. In total, it has 6 entrances and 2 floors in some areas. These 2 floors were added later. During the Ottoman period these floors were used as a court hall. According to this, the problems between public and tradesmen were being solved in this court by the Muslim judge of the bazaar.
Egyptian Bazaar is named after the country “Egypt” because species, grains and dried fruits brought from Egypt were being sold to the Istanbulites in this bazaar. Moreover, Egyptian Bazaar was built by the taxes collected from Cairo, the capital of Egypt.

The intersection of the short and long branches of the bazaar is called “Prayer Field” and it is the most notable part of the bazaar. In here, an “Adhan Kiosk” is found and when the bazaar is opened, an officer who is in charge of the prayer comes to wish tradesmen high incomes.
Egyptian Bazaar which has preserved its historical structure until today is one of the most frequently visited places by tourists. The bazaar has also jewelry and gift shops as well as stores selling herbs and spices.

Although the bazaar suffered heavy losses during the two large fires in 1961 and 1940, it still stands in its perfect shape.

You can follow us from Facebook too..

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder